Make no mistake about it; the NFL is all about the Super Bowl. For all the accolades, touchdowns, and victories cheered on every Sunday by football fans, winning America’s biggest game is truly what pro football is all about. So two weeks into this 2015 NFL season, who are the true candidates that are ready to contend for Super Bowl 50 in Santa Clara next February? Here are the 5 contenders ready to fight for this game:
- Green Bay Packers – Having avenged the tragic 2014 NFC Championship game loss to the Seattle Seahawks, #AaronRodgers and the Packers are definite contenders for this year’s Super Bowl. By far the top quarterback in the league, Rodgers simply took over the game and fired his team to victory, having already overcome injuries to his two best offensive weapons, #JordyNelson and #EddieLacy. But everyone knows that defense wins championships, and concerns have always followed the Packers’ back end. However, with several game changing turnovers that ended both the #Seahawks and the #Chicago Bears games, the team looks ready and capable to take their play to Super Bowl heights.
- New England Patriots – The defending champs have picked up right where they left off last season. #TomBrady has performed tremendously in both opening games, racking up 7 touchdowns to 0 interceptions. He simply will not age graciously into that good night! Meanwhile #RobGronkowski has developed into not only the best tight end in the NFL, but possibly the best pass catcher overall as well. His combination of size, speed, and power make him largely unplayable, and he should continue to have a huge year. Having defeated both the Pittsburgh Steelers and the division rival #BuffaloBills to start the year, earning Brady a 5th Super Bowl is a definite possibility.
- Pittsburgh Steelers – How can they be in contention given that they already lost? Well, the Steelers lost to one of the league’s best teams in the Patriots, and the way they returned in Week 2 suggests that everything will be all right. Quarterback #BenRoethlisberger is playing better than he ever has, while Antonio Brown has been electric in the passing game. Backup running back DeAngelo Williams has been playing like he did in his earlier Carolina Panthers days, while Le’Veon Bell’s return will certainly boost this team to yet another level. Obviously there defense is having to move on from the retired Hall of Fame safety #TroyPolamalu, but guys like Cameron Heyward, Ryan Shazier, and Bud Dupree are building a new future of hard hitting Steeler D. While the offense is playing so well, all the defense has to do is slow opponents down and Pittsburgh just might win another Super Bowl.
- Arizona Cardinals – Carson Palmer is having a career year in Phoenix, like he did for much of last year before an injury ruined the Cardinals’ 2014 Super Bowl hopes. #LarryFitzgerald is still carrying on strong and the running back duo of Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington is proving to be effective. With a stellar defense highlighted by guys like Tony Jefferson, Calais Campbell, and Tyrann Mathieu, the Cardinals could well usurp the Seahawks and finally take control of the NFC West.
- Denver Broncos – They aren’t playing pretty by any means, and very well could have been 0-2 to start the season, but the Broncos have been pulling out miraculous wins the likes of which we’ve only seen when Tim Tebow was at the helm! Winning ugly is a big part of the NFL, and when it comes to gritty NFL playoff encounters, this may be just the recipe for winning a trip to the Super Bowl. I think we’ve definitely seen age start to catch up with quarterback #PeytonManning, but his experience and knowledge could push them through, while a stellar defense makes the key plays. Aqib Talib, DeMarcus Ware, #VonMiller, and Brandon Marshall are extremely talented, and we might just see a Peyton Manning team led by strong defensive play that wins the 2015 Super Bowl. Wouldn’t that be something?
Filed under: Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, NFL Football, Pittsburgh Steelers, Superbowl | Tagged: #AaronRodgers, #ArizonaCardinals, #DenverBroncos, #GreenBayPackers, #newenglandpatriots, #PeytonManning, #PittsburghSteelers, #Superbowlcontenders, #tombrady | Leave a comment »